Friday, July 19, 2024

Επιλογή Γλώσσας

Visa/Residence Formalities

If your country of origin is not an EU Member, you are advised to contact the Greek Embassy or Consulate in your home country for entrance regulations prior to your departure

If you are a student accepted for full-time study at the University either for a full degree program or through a student exchange program, you will need a student visa issued by the Greek embassy or consul in your country of residence. To obtain this visa you will need a letter from the University which states the reason for your visit and the duration of your stay. 

Researchers will need a Type D visa issued by the Greek embassy or consul in your country of residence. You will need the hosting agreement and an invitation letter from the University of Crete.

Family Members: All students and researchers (EU & non-EU citizens) planning to bring their families here for the duration of their studies / contract are advised to bring with you documents required by the Greek public services. These are: copies of your marriage certificate and the birth certificates of your children which have been verified as true copies - ie stamped with an Apostille stamp by the authority that issued the certificates in your country. This should be done prior to arrival. 

Note: entry with a tourist visa is not acceptable for students /researchers accepted for studies/ a contract at the University of Crete.

After Arrival
Your initial entry visa is a 3-month single entry visa. 
On arrival, if your study/contract period is longer than 3 months, you will need to apply for a residence permit which will be valid for the duration of your studies/contract and, for researchers accompanied by their families, a permit for each family member. 

Applications for residence permits are made at the Immigration Office of the Muncipality - in Heraklion and in Rethymno

Apart from the residence permit, Researchers from EU countries and from non-EU countries will need to follow a number of specific steps for tax registration, renting a house, your employment contract, opening a bank account, health and social insurance procedures and related matters. 

For further information see the sites on Useful links below and for step-by-step information and advice contact us at any time before or after your arrival.

Copyright © 2018 International Relations Dept. UoC User login
Powered by: MiSUoC/ICT University of Crete